Friday 15 April 2011

Confessions of a GP by Benjamin Daniels


This is one that frequently shows up on the kindle top 100 best sellers but it wasn't until I read TinyLibrarys review that I finally forked out the £3 to download it (yeah, big spender)

“Dr Benjamin Daniels" (real identity protected) writes about his day-to-day life of being a GP. Humorous anecdotes involving more of his eccentric patients are in abundance here as well as tales of the pressures of working under a constantly target driven NHS.

I have read a few of these types of books (mostly of the policeman category) and this, like the others is humorous, addictive and thought provoking. Sometimes books like these can become an outlet for the authors rants about their chosen profession but thankfully Dr Daniels manages to talk about his day job without whining. The chapters are short making this an easy read and I enjoyed reading Dr Daniels's thoughts on death, targets, and people asking for sick notes.

Dr Daniels is very forthright in his opinions ranging in quite a few more controversial topics including the MMR jab, patients that smoke or are over weight and GP salary's. Although these aspects of the book are more serious, it was these sections which I enjoyed the most and lifted it from just being a collection of anecdotes.

Recommended for anyone after a lighter read or is interested in the NHS.

Posted by Jess

2 comments:

  1. I've been seeing this float at the top of the Kindle list myself, but I'm always a little wary of "look at how much insight I can provide in to _____ (medicine, law enforcement, etc)" but, after this review, I think I might just have to give it a go. Thanks for the great rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find it quite interesting so I hope you enjoy it. Those kinds of books are nearly always good entertainment

    ReplyDelete