Monday 20 June 2011

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson


Normally I quite like my literature to be full of doom and gloom. Give me a novel filled with hardships, tragedy and war and I’m as happy as a clam. Does this make me weird? I promise I don’t have any “issues” and I don’t like misery memoirs at least.
This book is filled with none of those things. This book would instead be described as delightful, charming and feel good. There are even lovely picture drawings throughout the Persephone edition making it even more lovely.

But heck I loved it. I got caught up as Miss Pettigrew got swept away into the life for one day and night of the beautiful Miss La Fosse. It was lovely for once to read something that was pure escapism with a happy ending, but more than that it was actually a great page turner.

The below is a trailer for the film (useful if you want more of synopsis) and I wondered if anyone had seen it? It looks perfect for a cosy night in on my own with a box of chocolates.



Posted by Jess

13 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one. It sounds charming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually prefer darker books too, but I enjoyed this one! I loved the drawings too - they really added something special to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one, it sounds so cosy and fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ve this on my tbr pile ,I ve seen the film thou and loved the film it was great fun ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to read rather dark/depressing fiction as well, but thought this was a nice change of pace. And the movie really is fun too, though it does take some liberties with the text, but nothing that isn't in keeping with the spirit of the original novel. Do check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I prefer slightly *heavier* reading, but this was fun! I enjoyed it thoroughly, and figured, sometimes, it's just what life needs. It was also my first Persephone, and I had to go back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the movie and the book--surprisingly delightful! Your post makes me want to watch the film again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book is wonderful, sheer delight; the film - a travesty. Missed all the charm of the book, I switched off half way through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this one on my shelf and I've been waiting for a moment when I need something light and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this book, it's perfect if you want to escape from the doom and gloom of the news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the movie and hadn't thought to read the book. Now I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. reviewsbylola - perfect for a rainey day.

    Helen - they were lovely weren't they? I loved the makeover picture.

    Tiny Library - you should if you want something fun without being dump if you know what I mean.

    winstonsdad - I saw the film the other day, quite a good version.

    Steph - see above, they left the cocaine bit out! I didnt even know they had that in the 30s LOL

    anothercookiecrumbles - it was my first Persephone too which is bad since I have about 4 of them.

    Melody - I loved Amy Adams in it, I thought she was great fun. The apartment was quite spectacular.

    Melissa - I hope you enjoy it but wait til your in the right mood

    Katrina - yes its a fairytale really

    thebookstop - the book is better but I thought the film was quite a good version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book is a wonderful, wonderful one (come on we need a book thats just happy and a little twee now and again dont we?) and the film is very very good too. Superbly cast.

    ReplyDelete