Thursday 26 August 2010

BTT 55 questions from Jess

This meme is about a week old now but for fun I answered all 55.

1. Favourite childhood book?
The Adventures of the Wishing-chair by Enid Blyton
2. What are you reading right now?
See right
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
The Real Thing by Henry James, they have to get it out of storage for me.
4. Bad book habit?
Losing bookmarks, I'm forever buying more
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville and The Rich Boy by F.Scott Fitzgerald
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Hopefully I will very soon. Ive had my eye on a kindle for a long time
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Normally one but sometimes Ill have both a hard read and an easier read on the go
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I read a lot more
9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
I read loads more
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?
The Great Gatsby, but there are loads I could have said.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Not often I admit
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I don't particularly like Crime, Chick lit or fantasy so anything else
13. Can you read on the bus?
Nooooooo I get travel sick terribly
14. Favourite place to read?
One the sofa after my sons gone to bed
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I have a shelf on my bookcase that is solely for books which I want to lend out to various people.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
I used to but not any more
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
No, what am I in school?
18. Not even with text books?
See above
19. What is your favourite language to read in?
English – being the only one I can read in
20. What makes you love a book?
If there's something in the book which is original and I haven't thought about before.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I don't believe in forcing books onto people so Ill only recommend a book if I'm sure the person will love it.
22. Favourite genre?
Literary fiction
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I wish I got on more with YA books
Favourite biography?
I was enjoying Marie Antoinettes before I gave up
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
I did read Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus when I was 14
26. Favourite cookbook?
The Essential Student Cookbook by Cas Clarke. I've never been a student but when I first moved in with Chris this book was invaluable. The recipes are stupid simple and use only the cheapest ingredients. There's even a section with a list of things everyone should have in their cupboards.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Wedlock by Wendy Moore
28. Favourite reading snack?
Cup of coffee
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
The Passage
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't read critics only my fellow book bloggers but on the whole I think I agree with the masses.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I don't think about this blog that seriously to get worried over things like this
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Russian without a doubt
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Turn of the Screw – I know its only short but I really struggled to read this
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Les Miserables
35. Favourite Poet?
I'm not a poem person but I am making my way through a set of poetry books I won and am enjoying the Simon Armitage ones at the moment
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
1 or 2
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Never
38. Favourite fictional character?
At this moment in time Mary from Jamaica Inn springs to mind
39. Favourite fictional villain?
Cathy from East of Eden
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
I try to bring something that's set in the country I'm visiting
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Oh months I'm sure
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
One Hundred Years of Solitude – I struggled and gave up exactly half way through
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
If my sons awake then him. He also loves books and will constantly shove one in my hands when I'm reading. Or sometimes he will just snatch a book out of my hands making me feel like a guilty mother.
44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?
Atonement
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Marley & Me
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
About £50 but this doesn't happen often
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If the thought 'maybe I should give up' enters my head when reading then normally thats the beginning of the end.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes although I have less than a bookcases worth
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Give them away. But I'm like this in all areas of my life I'm not want you would call sentimential.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
The Girl with the dragon Tattoo. The film was violent enough.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Cant think of one
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Tender is the Night
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
The World According to Garp
55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
The Sookie Stackhouse books although I haven't read the last three as they started to get quite samey

Posted by Jess

6 comments:

  1. I want to encourage you to give Les Mis a try. It's really excellent. Don't be scared! And remember, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. ;)

    Also wondering if Chris caught the hint in #6. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Les Miserables when I read it years ago -- not intimidating, read without fear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy & Bibliophile - everyone I know who has read Les Miserables has said that! I must make a vow to read it in 2011 or something.

    Regarding you second point Kathy about Chris taking the hint - you've got to be joking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. East of Eden has been on my TBR for ages. I haven't even seen the film. Oy vey.
    Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you gave up exactly half way through you could say you have read Fifty Years of Solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. theliterarylollipop - I hope you enjoy it when you do get around to reading it. It took me ages to finally pick it up but Im glad I did.

    Thomas - LOL that made me laugh

    ReplyDelete